Mike. The one and only


Somehow I don’t really have girl-friends. I’m more the kind of person to whom guys come and pour their soul. I’m not sure if they do it because it’s written across my face “free shrink” or simply because they honestly believe, in their innocence, that if you are a girl, you can read all the other girls’ minds.

So here is Mike. He’s about 2 years older than me, huge as a mountain, smart, has decent hobbies like wrestling, reading and being caught in the rain. The last bit I just said it not because it’s true, but because he does have a softish side. He does. Mike also likes refined food like chips with wasabi and snail with bernaise sauce. He has a strong idea about justice, and even beat once a guy who didn’t show up for our 4th date. Said he cannot stand the “imbeciles who take advantage of a girl”. I quite minded that, since I dumped the guy and Mike didn’t believe me. Now that i’m thinking about it, I don’t even know why we are friends because honestly, we don’t really have anything in common.

So Mike rings my door bell yesterday. It was a lazy sunday, I didn’t expect anyone. Naturally, my legs are unshaven and this is the only thing I am ashamed of in front of my guy-friends. I grab some long pants, put them on, and answer the door.

- Hi!
- Hi..
- Look, I’ve got some beer. If you are with someone, I wouldn’t mind sharing it, if he’s cool.
- Ok...I’m actually alone, browsing some magazines. What’s up?
- I’m decided, everything is set.
- What?
- Remember when we saw “The painted veil”? I told you then I want to go to Asia and help the orphans. And single mothers. And the sick. But mostly the orphans. Poor kids, not knowing their mom or dad. Or even worse, not knowing any of the two. I’ve got it all set with my brother. We’ll spend the summer there with a NGO. We put some money aside, and anyways we’ll use that for sweets and toys for kids, since the NGO will provide the shelter and bowl of soup for us. Besides, this is going to be a really good practice for later on when I open an orphanage.
- I didn’t know you were planning all this.
- It’s great, because for the first time in my life I feel I have a purpose. I can fight for something.
- Congrats, you are one of the few lucky ones!
- Well, I came over to tell you I’m leaving next week. And to ask you if I can leave my dog with you.
- Sure.
- There’s just one thing that bothers me still. You remember Melanie, the cute brunette from the art school? I’ve been dating her a couple of months nows.
- Yes.
- Could you keep an eye on her? She’s a little bit pregnant. I think it’s nice if someone could call her from time to time, so she won’t feel alone. I’ll be very busy, and besides there’s the time difference also. Would you do that for me?

And there he was. Mike, the fighter for a better world.

4 comentarii:

Henkka said...

good one. like the how you present irrelevancies that actually make this alive. Like the snails and bernaise sauce, what does eating that actually tell of person. Well, somehow it does. Afterwards its clear. This guy is a egocentric hypocrat who cares for things, but doesn't give a rats ass about the real stuff, and likes snails. Maybe its a unconscious self-reflection of the inner soul.

and the protagonist, well she seems to be pretty, and aware of it. Knows how the guys love her, but yet has the standard issue with self-esteem. Gimme me more background of her in some other text.

well done lore.

Loredana said...

Thank you Henry! Looking forward to reading some of your stuff also :)

Rox said...

Nice! :-)

You might want to change "psycho" with "shrink" though... Or something similar... It changes meaning quite a bit...

Loredana said...

Thanks Rox!

Post a Comment